Recipe of the week: Overnight Slow Cooker High-Protein Oatmeal
Grain Mix Ingredients:
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 2 large apples, cored and chopped
- 1. 5 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp hemp seeds (if you don’t have these, omit and add 1 more Tbsp oats)
- 4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup or organic or local honey
- VERY IMPORTANT: Grease your slow cooker with coconut oil, butter, or a oil spray. Don’t skip this step or your oatmeal will stick and burn to the sides.
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker, cover, and cook on low 7-8 hours.
- Once cooked, stir well and serve. Add more milk, pecans, maple, apples, etc. if desired (but delish as is). You can also serve alongside Greek yogurt to boost protein or use as a recovery, see below.
- Can be stored in refrigerator 3-4 days, simply reheat in microwave or stovetop.
Adding Extra Protein & Training Fuel Adjustments:
Since I like a breakfast even slightly higher in proteins and fats, I add extra protein and healthy fats by pairing 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup greek yogurt and optionally pecans (yum!).
If you’re looking for a great pre-ride fuel, you can eat this oatmeal as is, but make sure to give it 2-4 hours to digest before a big ride. If eating it as a delicious recovery, again add extra protein with organic milk or Greek yogurt, organic soy, or eggs on the side.