I’m officially 2 days out from surgery. One priority I have right now is preparing, not just for the surgery but for the necessities after it. And by necessities, I mean food (I *am* a nutritionist through and through after all). I’m making dinners to freeze, smoothies to freeze, protein brownies, and this chocolate cake.
It’s not your mama’s chocolate cake.
It’s high protein, grain-free, and it’s for breakfast. When I don’t have the energy to make a breakfast, or my kids needs something grab and go, this fits the bill.
I thought so. Satisfy your chocolate needs and smile big with this one every day of the week!
Recipe of the Week: Gimme Some Lovin Chocolate Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup raw cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup real maple syrup or raw honey
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp grassfed (if possible) butter (coconut oil can be subbed)
- 4 cage-free eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup 70%+ cocoa chocolate chunks
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 (1/2-inch) slices banana
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all dry ingredients (first 5) in a small bowl.
- Add the maple syrup or honey, melted coconut oil, melted butter, eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon batter into an 8×8 baking pan, 2 6-inch round cake pans (for a layered cake) or 12 cupcake circles.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes (cakes) or 15 minutes (cupcakes) or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- If adding frosting, mix all ingredients, mashing and mixing banana, until at desired consistency.
- Remove the cake, add frosting just before serving (can also dip into frosting), and enjoy.
Nutrition information (12 servings, with optional frosting): Approx. 351 calories, 23 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 9 grams protein.
Training Nutrition: Can be consumed 90-120 minutes before training up to 2 hours…if longer training, I recommend adding additional carbohydrates such as a whole banana. To use as a delicious real-food recovery snack, add extra protein on the side.
What separates this cake from any other and makes it appropriate for a non-dessert meal or snack? In short, it’s the absence of refined carbs and sugars, and the inclusion of protein and healthy fats. That’s it.
To achieve a switch-a-roo like this, we:
- First replaced the regular grain-flour with nut and coconut flour. If you’re not familiar with these, they are simply ground nuts and coconut. They are widely used in gluten-free recipes, and with some trial and error can be used in many baked goods. When using coconut flour, you’ve got to be careful to not get over-zealous and use it solely; it absorbs fluids like crazy, and will ruin many recipes if used by itself. Both are grain-free, gluten-free, good sources of fiber and protein, and are moderately low in carbs.
- Next, we cut out any refined sugars and depended on the natural sweetness in cocoa and coconut plus moderate amounts of raw/real honey, maple, and high-polyphenol cocoa chunks. No corn syrups, no sugar, no blood sugar swings.
- Third, we replaced some butter with coconut oil, used grass-fed cow’s butter, and whole eggs (including yolks) for fats. We skip the hydrogenated oils found in boxed mixes and stick with the natural fats.
Sounds good to me. I might need some lovin like this in the weeks to come. I’m focused on rehabbing and will keep my goal to have more laugh lines than brow furrows in 2017. This week, we can have our cake and eat it too. My apologies to your mama.
Fuel Your Adventure. Nourish Your Body.
Want the full story? Well then, you’ll love Fuel Right Race Light. It’s the Apex Nutrition ebook, and it contains everything you need to 1) eat right day to day for your weight goals, health and wellness, and ongoing recovery; 2) fuel your training with perfectly timed and portioned training fuel before, during, and after training; 3) supplement smartly with the nutrients athletes need; and 4) hydrate well. Fuel Right Race Light puts it all together for you in a very easy-to-follow plan that you can implement today! Money back guarantee!
Submit your review