Thanksgiving’s come and gone and now you’ve got to get back on track after feasting. What’s your plan?
I suggest my after-Thanksgiving-back-on-track Green Detox Super Smoothie. Why? Simply because most people don’t feel super great after the usual Thanksgiving binge. Even though they had good intentions for healthy Thanksgiving eating, and they actually feel like they did pretty well (this is always relative to grossly-overeating), they still don’t feel quite right. They feel like they’ve taken a step back with eating right and feeling fit.
The remedy: A Green Detox Super Smoothie
Disclaimer: This is definitely not a free license or encouragement to eat horribly on Holidays. The smoothie won’t work miracles, after all. But, it will give you awesome, concentrated, whole-food, raw-food nutrition packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and detox nutrients. A good step to getting back on track.
Recipes of the week: Green Detox Super Smoothie
- 1 medium Grapefruit, peeled
- ½-1 cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 1 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 Cup fresh Kale
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cucumber
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds or Chia seeds
- ½ Tbsp fresh Ginger (optional)
- 1-2 tsp organic honey
- Protein: Your choice. I recommend 10-20 grams protein from undenatured whey simply because it can encourage the production of your cells’ own super antioxidant, glutathione. Other great choices include Greek yogurt, soy protein powder, hemp seeds, or a mix of them.
Blend all in your blender or food processor, adding water/ice as needed. For all the texture-people out there, the quality of the texture of this smoothie really depends on the quality of your blender. A Vitamix, for example, will deliver a gloriously smooth smoothie. If you’re still using the same one you used in college, on the other hand, you may get a more coarse texture. Enjoy this smoothie for breakfast for several days, or for an entire day or entire 3-day Detox (3-4 servings needed per day). If you choose to go for more than one day, mix it up with a variety of vibrant fruits and vegetables, but make sure to not overdo the fruits, and always include a protein source.
Type detox smoothies or detox juice into any search engine, and you sure to get all sorts of ideas and recipes. Some of them are awesome. Some of them are dangerous. Some of them offer very little nutrition; a popular cayenne pepper/lemon juice one, for instance, has no protein and very little whole-foods. Sure you’ll lose weight…but what will you gain? Mysmoothie is not so much about losing weight or a digestive tract cleansing. It’s more of a nutrition punch and detox for your cells.
And there’s no better time than the day after a big Holiday feast.
The focus of this detox is to decrease:
- Oxidative stress: The high amounts of antioxidants from the fruits, vegetables, ginger, honey and undenatured whey will reduce the free radicals in your body.
- Inflammation: The anti-inflammatory components of ginger, coconut oil, and omega-3s from flax or chia seeds reduce cellular inflammation.
- Toxins: Our cells are can get loaded with toxins from our environments, preservatives and chemicals in our foods, and our own biochemical processes. Some foods and nutrients, such as kale and cauliflower, can actually encourage our cells’ ability to detoxify themselves. Our bodies can do amazing things if we give them the right nutrients with which to work.
Additionally, the cucumber will act as a natural diuretic to battle the fluid retention brought on by too much sodium.
Why not just eat all of these foods separately?
No reason, you sure can. Just keep them raw. Part of the detox experience is to give your body the full nutrition offered by foods, including the chlorophyll, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fibers that can be altered, reduced, or damaged by cooking. For this breakfast smoothie, keep it raw.
This week, between all the extra Holiday food, you can feel healthy and fit instead of stuffed and lethargic. Start with a Green Detox Super Smoothie and keep it going with a great workout.
Give your body what it needs everyday and during training with the right Foods, Drinks and Supplements. If you would like my help with it, I offer comprehensive plans as Instant Downloads and as Custom Clients starting at just $20. And, as a FuelRightBlog reader, get a further discount with coupon code: password-frblog username-reader. I’d love to work with you!
Fuel Your Adventure. Nourish Your Body.